Well the time now is in the late 90's and at home I had gotten my first computer. My son had nagged me into it and I found soon that I quite liked it and soon got my first email address and found out was spam was!
Cardiff Bus was taking it's first faltering steps into the brave new world and had not even got an email address. But that was about to alter and some computers appeared in the offices. Of course I wanted one but that was a while away.
I nagged them as often as I could and the I.T. section were sick of hearing me. Eventually to shut me up they gave us an old computer stuck in a corner. I did get an office package and an email address. If this seems strange now, back then it was considered a big deal.
Pretty soon I adapted the way I worked to work on the computer. I printed out my work sheets and emailed the stuff to town that needed to go there. I will never consider myself THAT clever on computers but for my age I was not to bad. I think that I was probably the best for the work that I needed to do at that time.
Moving in to the new century and the company bought in more and more computerisation. We soon all were using them, some more than others. I have enjoyed computers ever since the days I first used one to print out my first Christmas card and had no problems. Others were not so used to them and we had major problems now and again.
Then they decided that the job that I do could be automated a lot with a comuter program called Grampian. This was a huge deal and would change the way that I worked for good. Computer specialised were bought in from other parts of the company and a major training update was put in place.
The shifts that I worked were considered at last to be useless as by the time we had worked the first eight hours really we were not fit as we had been up since 2.30 am. So they were changed again to more or less the was I work today with a weekend off once a month and days off in the week other times. We were given a new supervisor, one that was an expert on this new system and the job changed for good.
Next blog, Grampian takes over my working life.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for reading this blog. I hope you found it enjoyable. Let me know what you think.