Friday, 22 January 2010

Representing the company!

As I mentioned the in last blog I was fortunate enough to win the South Wales driver of the year in the first year of trying.

From there I went to Blackpool for the weekend and competed in the national against drivers from all over the UK. To be honest I did not exactly cover myself in glory that year. I did OK I guess but got nowhere in the rankings.

The course was near Blackpool beach off road and had slalom type driving courses using cones and highway code events and spotting defects on a vehicle. However I enjoyed the competition and met a lot of people.

The next year as the regional winner I came second and of course could not go to the nationals. The year after I came first again and this time the competition had moved to the Midlands to a large bus depot. If I had not made one silly error I would have done quite well that year. However many other drivers made the same error so I did not feel quite as bad as I might have done.

I entered one last time in 1982 and won the regional heats once more. However by the time the finals came around I had taken on the post as Inspector. (More in later blogs on that). As I was no longer a driver I could not go to the nationals and the second place man took my place.

Of course that was the last competition I entered for Cardiff Bus. But I had enjoyed those years and met drivers from all over the UK. I found that there is a very strong bond between bus drivers where ever you come from.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading this blog. I hope you found it enjoyable. Let me know what you think.